(Roseneath, Ontario, Canada)
Q. We will be installing a concrete driveway ourselves and have been recommended by a cement company in the area to perform the following:
1) remove all topsoil from driveway.
2) pour about 10inches of tip run.
3) pour about 6 - 10 inches of "A" gravel down.
4) use cement 32c2 with fibre mesh for driveway and saw pressure cuts every 15 feet.
We are located in the country where we receive a lot of snow and run off in the spring.
your suggestions would be appreciated.
A. I live in Maine, USA. We also receive a lot of snow and run off in the spring. This is how I recommend and install concrete driveways here.
1. Remove any topsoil, loom and clay.
2. If no gravel is present in the existing ground, we dig down 4 feet and build up with gravel, rolling and compacting in 10 inch lifts.
3. Form edges with 2x6's and tie a mat of 1/2 inch rebar 2 feet On Center throughout the driveway.
4. Place 5 - 6 inches of 4000 3/4 psi concrete with fibermesh and 6% air entrainment. Apply broom finish.
5. Saw contraction joints approximately every 10 - 15 feet.
6. Apply concrete sealer
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to General Concrete Questions.
If you liked this, please share. Thanks!