Pouring concrete steps against a house

by Jeremiah
(Point reyes Station)

Q. How do I treat the interface between the wood house and the concrete of the steps to make it water tight and be able to deal with the different movement of the two?

A. You can use a product called Iso-strip-off. This is an isolation joint material used between concrete and what the concrete is being poured against. It lets the concrete expand and contract freely. The top 3/8 inch of the Iso-strip is perforated so you can peel it off after the concrete is hard, then you can caulk this groove making it water tight.

Any concrete supply store will carry this material or a version of it. (They may call it something different).

Check out Concrete Expansion Joints for more information.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to General Concrete Questions.

One more way to share everything-about-concrete.com

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.