Mike's Favorite power screed for concrete
Updated October 28, 2023
Author: Michael Day
Hello everyone, my name is Mike Day and I'm the owner of Day Concrete Floors located in Maine. Over the past couple years as I've gotten older, I've started to use a couple different vibrating concrete screeds when I pour concrete that I've grown to love. They not only get the job done faster and more efficiently, but they also take a lot of strain off your back!
My top choice of Power Screeds is:
- SCREEDEMON by MBW Inc.
The one you see in the picture below to the left is the Shockwave, it's made in the USA and sold by Marshalltown.
The picture on the right shows the SCREEDEMON, which is also made in the USA and sold by MBW.
what are the pro's of using a power screed?
- Less labor needed
- Doesn't hurt your back
- Get's the job done faster and more efficiently
- Little effort needed while will help save your energy for other tasks
- The vibration from the screed actually helps with dispersing aggregate and filling air pockets which will in return make the concrete slab stronger and more level
The video below will go over how to use a Power Screed
why do i like using a power screed over a kick screed?
Using a Power Screed can be a little tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it you'll never want to kick screed again! I like using a Power Screed vs using a Kick Screed because:
- It puts less strain on my back
- Get's the job done faster and the finished product comes out better
I specifically like the Shockwave and the SCREEDEMON the best because:
- How little I feel the vibration in the handles when I increase the throttle which makes it very easy for me to focus on making sure the concrete is level and not thinking about the power screed
- How smoothly the throttle moves to increase or decrease the vibration (RPM's)
- The handles can be adjusted to whomever is operating for maximum comfort just by loosening a bolt and re-tightening
- The hand grips can also be adjusted for a wider or narrow grip
- I like where the On/Off button is located (it really can't accidentally be hit and break)
- I like the kick-stand for holding it up when you're not using it. It's conveniently located and rugged. This also make it easier to clean the machine once you are done using it
- The motor is easily started within the first or second pull
- The gas lasts a while
- *I will say the most significant difference between the two is the SCREEDEMON is a bit lighter than the Shockwave which makes it easier to carry around while walking in the concrete. As of recently, I've been finding myself using the SCREEDEMON more than the Shockwave.
Here are some videos I made on my YouTube channel showing the difference:
my tips & tricks to using a power screed
I've used a Power Screed thousands of times while pouring concrete and have found tips and tricks that work for me to get the job done PERFECTLY! I'm going to share them with you:
- Start the power screed right BEFORE you bring it over to use.
- Make sure the handles are set in a position that is most comfortable to you. With both the Shockwave and the SCREEDEMON, you are able to adjust this easily.
- Put the power screed about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle (the top of the blade needs to be off the concrete slightly so you are not digging into the concrete).
- Pull the power screed back nice and slowly and watch your ends to make sure they are staying on the concrete, creating a line. If they are not touching the concrete, this can create a hump in the concrete which will not be fun to deal with later.
- Let your rakers do most of the work- they need to make sure there is just the right amount of concrete being screeded (not too much or too little). They truly determine how level the concrete will be. With experienced rakers, the job will be easy!
Watch the video below to see my using these tips and tricks:
Honestly, what I feel is most important when choosing a vibrating screed is reliability. This thing needs to start within one or two pulls of the cord.
It also needs to be lightweight, easy to pick up and set down, have a smooth throttle control, and be easy to clean.
You get all these things with the Shockwave and the SCREEDEMON.
Here is a similar page that talks more about POWER SCREEDING: WHAT IS THE BEST CONCRETE POWER SCREED?
If you would like to see more of my videos you can check out my channel: HERE
If you'd like to learn more about concrete, check out the CONCRETE UNDERGROUND
Back to my recommended products page
Back to the Home Page